Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Til human voices wake us

I

It's all coming apart isn't it?

Falling, breaking,
crumbling into bone dust.
The ash on our sleeves is all
the ash the burnt roses leave.

Burnt rose stood proud in the rock,
the dead rock gives birth to the burnt rose.
The burnt rose in the middle of the Rockland.
This dead Rockland.

I'm with you in Rockland.

Let's dance on the rocks,
my love! - bare feet burning
on scorching sediment.
Dance with me,
dance,
dance.

II

Do you remember the day we met?
That dawning day.
The sun shone that day, bright and
beautiful, illuminating the grassland
outside the houses frequented by
old men in long coats.

That day, I will never forget,
that day when you held my
hand and left me hyacinths
in my room, my flowery
room was all in bloom!
I will never forget.
Never.

Forget

You held my hand and kissed me,
kissed me so gently in my room,
my room where people come and go,
talking of Michelangelo.

Talk talk talk, but we kissed. We kissed.
Your lips were soft like buttermilk.
Kiss.

Kiss. Kiss me on the lips I said. Kiss me.

You didn't care for the flowers!

I did I did, I cared, I care, I want life
to live - I want it to blossom, I wanted
it to blossom in my room, I wanted it...
but it didn't blossom, there was no
radiant bud, no beautiful blossom -
it wilted and died, there was no life,
and when it died I cried, I cried
because it died. Wilted and died.
Dead.

I loved it, I wanted to love it,
but you can't love death.
You cannot embrace him,
I have tried, no, death is
a cruel joke, a cruel joke.

We all die someday,
we all die tomorrow
if today is the day
of our lives.

Today is the day!
Carpe Diem Avalo!
Fly fly little starling, fly fly.

III

It's all coming apart

I don't want it to. I'll hold it together.

You can't hold on forever.

I can try.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea

I can do it. I can hold on forever!

By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown

Till human voices wake us

and we drown.

No comments: